More Resume Templates
See our other high quality resume designs proven to win interviews.
Nurse Resume Writing Advice
Let's cover the most important sections of a Nurse resume.
How do you write a great Nurse resume?
A Nursing resume needs to emphasize protocol, sanitation, and patient care.
The resume should include specific examples of experiences working in an Emergency Room,
Labor and Delivery Unit, Intensive Care Unit, or a Telemetry Unit. Employers usually scan for
the type facilities candidates have worked in to check for relevant experience.
Experiences should highlight outcomes by quantifying patient flow. Skills should include
medical specialty skills, administrative skills, and computer skills. It's important to
emphasize skills based on specific job criteria. Education and Certifications must
be included on a nursing resume.
What is a great Nurse resume summary example?
The resume summary or objective is the section that draws the most attention on your resume. It's where you need to prove in the fewest words possible that you're qualified to do the job, and you're up for the new challenge. It's important to tailor your resume summary to the job. Here's an example:
Licensed Registered Nurse with 3+ years of clinical experience seeking to improve patient care at a critical care unit using demonstrated skills in administration, compliance, and quality improvement.
What work experiences should you include on your resume?
Here are some ideas on writing about your experiences and responsibilities as a Nurse on your resume depending on the level of experience you have.
Tip: Create a Strong Work Experience Section
It's important to include action verbs and quantify results. Use this list of over 350 resume action verbs as a guide to craft the most effective bullet points.
Junior level work experience for Nurse
• Coordinated nursing care activities with other professionals to ensure that the nursing plan is integrated with the treatment plan.
• Worked with clinical staff to improve nursing standards of practice and procedures.
• Provided advice and consultation on nursing related matters to patients.
• Provided health education/teaching for clients and their families.
• Administered nursing care to ill, injured, or disabled patients
• Diagnosed and established patient treatment plans
• Monitored and reported changes in patient symptoms or behavior
• Communicated with collaborating physicians or specialists regarding patient care
• Educated patients about health maintenance and disease prevention
• Facilitated referrals to other healthcare professionals and medical facilities
• Maintained accurate patient medical records
• Provided advice and emotional support to patients and their family members
Senior level work experience for Nurse
• Assisted the Physician and staff with the daily coordination of patient care and physician access for a healthcare facility that receives over 600 patients per year
• Functioned as the liaison between the patients, staff and physicians
• Improved patient flow by identifying efficiency opportunities and working with the staff to make operational changes.
• Delivered direct patient care within the scope of licensure and in accordance with the SMG policy
• Ensured proper preparation for patient visit
• Administered injections according to appropriate protocol
• Reviewed and updated medication list in EHR
Nurse Organizations section
This section is a great place to call out accomplishments and achievements in Organizations on a Nurse resume as shown in the examples below.
Committee Lead, The American Nurses Association (ANA)
Member, South Georgia Association of Nurse Practitioners
Member, Atlanta Chapter United Advanced Practice Registered Nurses
Skills & Technologies
This resume section is a good opportunity to highlight specific skills relevant for a Nurse job. Be sure to review the job requirements and adjust your skills accordingly. Take a look at the example Nurse below.
Related Skills for a Nurse
Attention to detail
Related Technologies for a Nurse
Other Resume Examples
Browse the rest of our large collection of resume examples
to kickstart your resume.